The John Lyon School of Harrow-on-the-Hill
John Lyon's school was founded to provide a free education for 30 (later extended to 40) poor boys of the parish. However the School Master was permitted to accept "foreigners" (boys from outside the parish) from whom he received fees. It was the need for the foreigners to find accommodation that led to the concept of boarding. As in all schools of the time, education was based on the languages and culture of the ancient civilisations of Rome and Greece.
It is likely that our early Bliss and Dixon ancestors would have attended this school .... before the headmasters upgraded the school and discouraged the tradesmen's boys from attending.
As the reputation of the school grew through the 19th century, the number of foreigners increased, but the local families became increasingly reluctant to impose on their children a classical education and the number of free scholars declined. This was due mainly to the principal trying to squeeze more money from the parents. In 1825 there were 17 free scholars and 219 foreigners.
In 1876 the Lower School of John Lyon was founded under the authority of the Governors of Harrow School to provide a modern education for local boys. It is now knows as The John Lyon School and is a prominent independent school; it remains part of the Harrow School